The monastery of Santa Cruz
The monastery of Santa Cruz, founded in 1131 during the reign of Afonso Henriques, stands on the Praça 8 de Maio right in the center of Coimbra. The monastery was built outside the protecting walls and used to be the most important monastic house of the early age. The first form of the monastery was predominantly built in Romanesque style. In the 16th century, King Manuel ordered to renovate the monastery and most of the original building disappeared. An important symbol is the main portal with features of Manueline Renaissance style and other Renaissance styles.